Google Classroom: helpful documents
From the 11th January we will begin to use Google Classroom as our main method for supporting remote learning. Each pupil at Selwood has been provided with a username and password to access the site.
Your child will need to select a new password at first logon. If you have not received your letter, or if a password reset is required, please contact the school at email@example.com.
What is Google Classroom (G Suite For Education)?
G Suite for Education is a set of education productivity tools from Google including Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Classroom and more. For each of their classes, pupils will be set work on Google Classroom. ‘Assignments’ will be set and pupils are asked to ‘hand in/submit’ work when it is completed for teachers to mark. This will mean that up to 5 hours of work will be provided each day, following the normal school curriculum. This work will be monitored and feedback will be given at the appropriate time. Staff will record engagement in activities and lessons. Non-engagement is monitored weekly.
Teachers may wish to live-stream lessons from their homes or classrooms. This will only be done using the Google Meet platform that can be accessed from Google Classroom or pre-recorded videos will only be used when the teacher feels this would be beneficial to enhance learning and teaching. Previously, the school has used Microsoft Teams to achieve this. Google Classroom will now become our preferred system to assist with remote learning. All Google Meets are recorded and will be available for any pupils who could not attend the live meet.
Children use a login that Selwood has provided to access the system. With school accounts, work and emails cannot be shared with external email accounts. Google require basic information to set up these accounts: e.g. your child’s first and last name in order to create an account. Our pupil accounts have several security settings that reflect the fact that the system is being used by a child.
Google provide information about what they can and cannot do with your child’s personal information. You can read Google’s Privacy notice here:
https://gsuite.google.com/terms/education_privacy.html. On this page, Google provide answers to many common questions, including the types of information Google collects. When creating a pupil account, we provide Google with certain personal information about our pupils, including, for example, a name, email address and membership to their classes. The school will not support the upload of personal photos of children
Does Google use personal information for users in primary schools to target advertising?
No. Google does not use any personal information to target ads, whether in Core Services or in other Additional Services accessed while using an G Suite for Education account.
Can my child share information with others using the G Suite for Education account?
We allow pupils to access Google services such as Google Docs. Users can share information with others within our school domain.
Will Google disclose my child’s personal information?
Google will not share personal information with companies, organisations and individuals outside of Google unless one of the following circumstances applies:
• With parent/guardian consent.
• Pupils are provided with school-managed accounts, which means our school administrators have access to information stored in them.
• For external processing. Google may provide personal information to affiliates or other trusted businesses or persons to process it for Google, based on Google’s instructions and in compliance with the G Suite for Education privacy notice and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures. https://policies.google.com/privacy/update
• For legal reasons. Google will share personal information with companies, organisations or individuals outside of Google if it has a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, Google users or the public as required or permitted by law.
What choices do I have as a parent or guardian?
If you prefer not to provide your consent, we will remove access to a G Suite for Education account for your child. You can request deletion of your child’s G Suite for Education account by contacting the school at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to stop any further collection or use of your child's information, you can request that we use limit your child’s access to features or services or delete your child’s account entirely.
You and your child can also visit https://myaccount.google.com while signed into the G Suite for Education account to view and manage the personal information and settings of the account.
What if I have more questions?
If you have questions about our use of Google’s G Suite for Education accounts or the choices available to you, please contact the school.
If you want to learn more about how Google collects, uses, and discloses personal information, please use the following links:
• G Suite for Education Privacy Center https://www.google.com/edu/trust/
• G Suite for Education Privacy Notice https://gsuite.google.com/terms/education_privacy.html
• Google’s Apps for Education agreement https://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/terms/education_terms.html